Agenda and draft minutes

Public Services Scrutiny Committee - Monday, 11th December, 2023 10.00 am

Venue: County Hall, Usk - Remote Attendance. View directions


No. Item


Declarations of Interest


Frances Taylor declared a non-prejudicial interest as founder member of the Magor Walkway group.


Public Open Forum

Select Committee Public Open Forum ~ Guidance


Our Select Committee meetings are live streamed and a link to the live stream will be available on the meeting page of the Monmouthshire County Council website


If you would like to share your thoughts on any proposals being discussed by Select Committees, you can submit your representation via this form


·      Please share your views by uploading a video or audio file (maximum of 4 minutes) or;

·      Please submit a written representation (via Microsoft Word, maximum of 500 words)


You will need to register for a My Monmouthshire account in order to submit the representation or use your log in, if you have registered previously.


The deadline for submitting representations to the Council is 5pm three clear working days in advance of the meeting.


If representations received exceed 30 minutes, a selection of these based on theme will be shared at the Select Committee meeting.  All representations received will be made available to councillors prior to the meeting.

If you would like to suggest future topics for scrutiny by one of our Select Committees, please do so by emailing





Pre-decision scrutiny of the Strategic Transport Plan pdf icon PDF 1 MB

Additional documents:


Cabinet Member Catrin Maby introduced the report. Debra Hill-Howells delivered the presentation and answered the members’ questionswith Christian Schmidt, Mark Handand Nicholas Tulp. 


Key points raised by the Committee Members:? 


·        The current provision in some areas is insufficient. We can’t change people’s practice if we don’t have alternatives for them e.g. Severn Tunnel car park isn’t very accessible. 

·        The Active Travel network in Caldicothasn’t come back to Members to discuss outstanding issues, so isn’t felt to be ‘complete’ as an action.  

·        Can the positive impact of the B4245 project on High Beech roundabout be emphasised to Welsh Government? 

·        How can the digitally excluded be assisted to access the consultation? 

·        How is the Wellbeing Assessment being assessed? 

·        Some of the consultation questions and response options could be better for engaging the public and the Christmas period may not be the most appropriate time for a consultation. 

·        Members would like greater clarity on the timescales for actions associated with the Magor with Undy walkway station. 


·        Members are hesitant about some of the active travel measures relating to the station, for example, dropped kerbs (ACTION): - Officers to provide more information about interventions. 

·        Concern that the improvements for buses to High Beech roundabout cannot happen without a dedicated bus lane. Concerns around variable lanes on link roads in general. 

·        Concern that if Chepstow bus station is moved, the National Express may no longer stop at Chepstow. 

·        Concerns that electric vehicle charging on-street is going to be more difficult in older towns and concern as to whether we have the electricity infrastructure to make it happen. 

·        Concern that commuters from Chepstow to Bristol via Severn Tunnel Junction, 20mph limits will slow commuting traffic between Chepstow and Bristol.  

·        A member advised that the lobby group Transition Chepstow didn’t invite local councillors to their discussions, so there may be some disjoint.  

·        General concerns around the accessibility of bus platforms and drop kerbs: Example being Goytre, and Llanover, which only has one drop kerb. 

·        Members requested more information on the proposed route through Penperllenni, noting future employment near the site and more information on the Goytre to Llanellen project (Action): Officers to provide.  

·        Questions around the core bus services, including the No.60. 

·        Queries around the Integration of public buses and Home to School transport. 

·        Members would appreciate information on the New Inn/Pontypool station and whether there will there be a bus link to Usk (Action): Officers to provide.(Action): Officers to provide. 

·        Concern that Usk isn’t considered a key town in the plan. 

·        Delivery vehicles on roads: a Member commented that residents need to shift to using local shops and pickup points. 

·        Monmouth: concern that there are no trains, and that National Express doesn’t stop there and whether any progress could be made on this.  

·        A feeling that there isn’t  ...  view the full minutes text for item 3.


Minutes of the previous meetings held on: pdf icon PDF 571 KB

19th June 2023

3rd October 2023

Additional documents:


The minutes were agreed with a correction for the appointment of Vice Chair on 19th June 2023, advised by Councillor Penny Jones (ACTION) 


Public Services Scrutiny Committee Forward Work Programme and Action List pdf icon PDF 385 KB

Additional documents:


An update on Dentistry Services has been sent to members and Members are able to contact the officer directly with any future queries. Members cited some ongoing concerns around the recruitment of dentists and services to care leavers.  


The Scrutiny Manager highlighted that the Committee had tabled all the items suggested by Members, but that there are some topics remaining on the work programme list that the Committee may want to table to future meetings. This was agreed.  


Members raised accessing neighbourhood policing as a key concern and asked whether the new inspector could be invited to the next meeting. 



Council and Cabinet Work Planner pdf icon PDF 430 KB


The plan was noted.


To note the date and time of the next meeting: 19th February 2024