Agenda and minutes

Severnside Area Committee (2020) - Wednesday, 10th July, 2019 10.00 am

Venue: Undy Church and Community Hall

Contact: Democratic Services 

No. Item


Election of Chair


County Councillor D. Evans was elected as Chair.


Appointment of Vice-Chair


County Councillor R.J. Higginson was appointed as Vice Chair.


Declarations of Interest


Public Open Forum


The Clerk to Magor with Undy Community Council referred to outstanding road resurfacing and issues around sub-standard repairs to pot holes.  Comments were also made around the standards of hedge trimming.  The Head of Operations explained that pot holes are filled temporarily to cover against insurance claims, but these are followed up with permanent repair.  Where reports of pot holes are outstanding this will be followed up.  He asked for further information where sub-contract work is not considered up to standard.


In terms of patching roads, it was explained that surveys are carried out, depending on class of road and traffic volumes.  Concerns were highlighted around heavy transport vehicles damaging roads. 


The Officer explained that in terms of prioritisation, if one road is causing particular concern, it could be looked at to see if it can be moved to a higher priority.  Issues can be raised with the Ward Member, or the My Mon App.




Confirm and sign the minutes of the previous meeting pdf icon PDF 76 KB


The minutes of the meeting of Severnside Area Committee held on 23rd January 2019 were confirmed and signed by the Chair.




Update on Police visibility in the Severnside Area


Chief Superintendent Ian Roberts and Police Sergeant Nigel Callard were in attendance to provide an update on policing in the South Monmouthshire Area.


The Committee were briefed on the current situation, and were advised there were 90 crimes per month between Magor and Mitel, but this is in terms of recording incidents and the true figure is less.


Concerns were raised regarding the number of vehicles driving through the town, recognising some have permits.  However plans for the new design of the town show bollards which should help the issue.  The redesign was considered a good opportunity to re-visit the permit issue.


In terms of accessibility it was explained that given that most people contact the police by telephone footfall is lower, it was not good value for money to have a counter service in the area.  Busier areas such as Abergavenny and Monmouth Town continue to retain a counter service.  Police Officers are responding to calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, as well as patrolling Community Officers.  The Chief Superintendent provided an example of a typical day for South Monmouthshire.


It was confirmed that with regards to events, for example at Caldicot Castle, police officers still advise and aware where assistance is needed.


The Chair thanked both attendees for their attendance.












Briefing on the future of Chepstow Hospital


We welcomed Bronwen John of ABUHB who was in attendance to provide an update on the South Monmouthshire area.


The new hospital development at LLanfrechfa Grange will be a critical care centre for the whole of Gwent.  It is due to be open in 90 weeks.  The three existing hospitals at Royal Gwent, Neville Hall and Ystrad Fawr will still provide a large range of services but not the most acute care.  They will also provide ‘Care close to home’, working closely with Social Services and the third sector to develop wellbeing centres.


There has been much local speculation that the future of Chepstow Hospital is under threat, and updates have been provided through Select Committee.  As a result there was a requirement for the Health Board to provide an assurance of plans.  We were informed that:


·         In the process of changing the layout of the hospital.

·         No plans to reduce beds.

·         There will be a 6 bed frailty unit

·         There will be close work with clinical specialists to bring services out to Chepstow.

·         Plans to expand the outpatient department.


With regards to Caldicot there is a struggle to find money to update the health centre.  A range of issues need resolving.  There is some funding through the Integrated Care Fund. 


It is planned that an integrated service for children and young people will be developed, to improve safeguarding.  A trial system of nurse led clinics, and mental health services is planned.


The Health Board are working with Social Services to develop a role for a care worker to address the problem of people being delayed before going home. 


With regards to GP services Caldicot Health Centre is the largest in Gwent, and is successful in recruitment.  The ability to take on more patients is greater than other areas in Gwent.


With regards to expansion plans to meet the growing population, the Health Board are working with MCC Officers around the LDP, and GPs are very engaged in future plans.




Update on the B4245 and traffic issues


The head of Operations explained that development had been waiting on the decision regarding the M4 relief road, and it was now suggested that we revisit to identify what we need to achieve and outcomes.  The route is actually doing what it was designed to achieve but the concerns of Members and residents were appreciated.  Officers will go back to Capita to identify alternative solutions to reduce HGVs.


Concerns were raised around noise levels, increase of traffic due to housing developments, pollution and excavation vehicles.


Concerns were raised around safety for young cyclists on the road between Rogiet and Undy.  If the route was safer it would encourage pedestrians to walk to Severn Tunnel Junction.




Caldicot Regeneration Update


The Head of Operations provided an update on the regeneration of Caldicot.


The Cross – a major scheme to improve the pedestrian environment into the town, and link Church Road up to the Castle.  Grant money has been received to carry out the work.  Schemes are out to tender, and due back on 12th July 2019.  It is suspected that the funding will not be enough, officers will seek further funding from Welsh Government.  It is hoped that the scheme will start September 2019 and end June 2020.


Officers are now looking to improve pedestrian access at Church Road.  A cr park study will also be undertaken.


The old school site will serve as a contractor’s compound.




Replacement LDP Growth Option pdf icon PDF 482 KB

Additional documents:


The Head of Planning and Housing presented the next stage of the LDP, Growth Options.  The new LDP takes us to 2033 and allocated land on a plan for future development, and designates area of protection.


The section now on consultation is growth and special options, we are not at the stage of identifying sites.


The consultation period started Monday 8th July 2019 and ends 5th August 2019.  Members were asked to take the information back to Town and Community Councils.  There will be a drop in session at County Hall on 16th July 2019, at 1pm.


At this stage officers were keen to hear what is considered to be the preferred growth option, whilst being mindful of the different options available.


Members referred to employers paying higher wages across the bridge, and how we wish to improve wages here.  Officers explained that this depend on the type of jobs and employment we wish to attract.  We are looking via the economies of the future at growth industries.


There are good relationships with neighbouring authorities, and officers work closely with TCBC and BGCBC.   


Note the next meeting will be held on 23rd October 2019 at 10am. Venue TBC